Thursday, January 28, 2010

English 312 1/27/10

I am taking a course that explores Woody Allen's life and work. His films, essays, plays and music. I am taking this class because I am a film major at California State University Northridge and it is a General Education requirement. I have to say that I am not a huge Woody Allen fan. I have watched Annie Hall, Manhattan and Hannah and her Sisters all classics by critics definations. I find him irriating and not all that funny. If I had to chose a favorite film of Allen's it would be The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) or Match Point (2005). The Purple Rose of Cairo does not include Allen as a character and I think that is why I enjoyed it. Also, Match Point was much darker and unlike anything he had every done before, plus I am a big Jonathan Rhys Meyers fan. I have to say that I think one of the reasons that I dislike Allen is because of his marriage to Soon-Yi Previn. Who was the adopted daughter of his lover Mia Farrow. The whole situation is distrubing to me and I already found his character irriating and whiney. But I am taking this course to better under the psychology of his films and hopefully find out why he is so acclaimed.
Throughout this course I will be reading The Insanity Defense: The Complete Prose written by Allen. Also, I will be reading Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious by Freud and Roth's Portnoy's Complaint. These readings are assigned to help me better understand the psychology of Allen's films. I will have to be honest I just purchased the books yesterday so I haven't started reading them just yet. But I will be reading and posting about there contents over the weekend.
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment